Thread: ESA Question
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #37
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I've owned enough KTMs and Husabergs to know that there is no subsuite for the correct spring rate. But that is not how BMW choose to address the problem. And the problem is the same when you load the bike.
Without getting the proper static sag numbers one can still hit the ride sag numbers. That is what I am looking to do.
Nailed it.

I achieved that when I got my Wilbers from Ted. It actually took two tries to get he rear spring correct. Normally, Wilbers hits it right on on the first try: sag is correct with the preload nob all the way out. I had to turn it about 7 turns to get it right.

Ted didn't like that, so he asked me to send the shock back and he'd install the correct spring. Once he did, the suspension has been a dream.

I owned a KTM 990 and the suspension wasn't set correctly. In spite of the wonderful components and the tremendous adjustability, the front springs were too soft and the rear shock was too stiff. No matter how much one fools with the settings, one can't adjust for the wrong springs.

Thus my worries about ESA. Most of us here in the U.S. are, uh, heavier than the typical German. I've always felt that ESA was just fancy knob adjustment, but with the wrong springs. Just like I was trying to do on my KTM. In other words, "you can't get there from here."