View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #38
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Nailed it.

I achieved that when I got my Wilbers from Ted. It actually took two tries to get he rear spring correct. Normally, Wilbers hits it right on on the first try: sag is correct with the preload nob all the way out. I had to turn it about 7 turns to get it right.

Ted didn't like that, so he asked me to send the shock back and he'd install the correct spring. Once he did, the suspension has been a dream.

I owned a KTM 990 and the suspension wasn't set correctly. In spite of the wonderful components and the tremendous adjustability, the front springs were too soft and the rear shock was too stiff. No matter how much one fools with the settings, one can't adjust for the wrong springs.

Thus my worries about ESA. Most of us here in the U.S. are, uh, heavier than the typical German. I've always felt that ESA was just fancy knob adjustment, but with the wrong springs. Just like I was trying to do on my KTM. In other words, "you can't get there from here."
I think you're spot on about the stock bike having the wrong springs. Well, wrong for a heavier rider. Then again, I think, well, if the bike is built and designed to carry several hundred pounds of payload, it should be sprung correctly from the factory.

With so many people ridiing, it would certainly be tough to outfit a bike with a good all-around spring. Personally, at 185lbs I haven't had any ride issues. Wife and I are finally going to get out for a good day ride on Saturday, so anxious to see how it handles with her on the back. She's a lightweight at 110. If we were loaded up for more than a 3 hour tour and headed to Gilligan's island, maybe it'd be a different story.

I ain't scared.... :) I'm sure the bike will handle just fine.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote