Thread: ESA Question
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #42
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Very good reference info as always, thank you for taking the time to post it. Good information for someone like me who is considering buying the R1200Gsa in the next few days.

One point on static and rider sag, after setting up my F800Gs with ohlins for 2 up riding, I quickly discovered that the available range of springs left me with less than ideal static and rider sag conditions.

The heaviest spring I could get, with the right amount of preload to achieve correct rider sag 2 up, gives me zero static sag, and even with the preload wound right off for solo riding still is set with minimal static sag and not much rider sag (about the minimum you'd want for off road riding).

2 up, for it's intended riding it isn't much of a problem, until you get stuck on a steep slope and the suspension unloads while you attempt restart. I go from being able to almost flat foot (with the low seat option) to not having a hope in hell as it unloads and gets taller. This is problematic.

The only solution would be stiffer shorter springs with no/minimal preload. They don't make them. I have an Ohlins that is around 22kg/mm at the moment. I see the GSA seems to use lighter springs. That might be a good thing, as I have Ohlins springs in 17kg/mm, and 19kg/mm already on the shelf.

I take it the GSA has enough aftermarket springs to cope with the 2 up I want to do? Anyone have a reference chart they use?

Thanks guys.
Snowy is online now   Reply With Quote