View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #43
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Nailed it.

I achieved that when I got my Wilbers from Ted. It actually took two tries to get he rear spring correct. Normally, Wilbers hits it right on on the first try: sag is correct with the preload nob all the way out. I had to turn it about 7 turns to get it right.

Ted didn't like that, so he asked me to send the shock back and he'd install the correct spring. Once he did, the suspension has been a dream.

I owned a KTM 990 and the suspension wasn't set correctly. In spite of the wonderful components and the tremendous adjustability, the front springs were too soft and the rear shock was too stiff. No matter how much one fools with the settings, one can't adjust for the wrong springs.

Thus my worries about ESA. Most of us here in the U.S. are, uh, heavier than the typical German. I've always felt that ESA was just fancy knob adjustment, but with the wrong springs. Just like I was trying to do on my KTM. In other words, "you can't get there from here."
Hi Lobby.
The problem of getting the correct spring rate, is that it's only good for a certion range of mass. Overload the bike and you have the same problems that I am dealing with. GSs are suppost to be similar to 1970s trail bikes. That would make the spring rate not as critical as it is on a modren MX bike.
I guess that I will have to take a chance and swap the spring. My reluctance in doing so, it because it takes me down a rabbit hole. As my weight changes from diets and such. I end up with a boat load of springs. It sucks. But that's life
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote