View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #38
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Here's a little history on the first two bridges that I rode to on that day.

The Root bridge spans 70' 5" over the Hocking River and it's located a few miles north of Decaturville, Ohio just off SR555 on CR6. The bridge was originally built for $461.50. 461.50.....fifty cents..........I guess back then fifty cents was quite a bit of money to have in your pocket. It is also known as the Qualey Covered Bridge.

The Henry bridge was built in 1894 and spans 45' over West Branch. Located southeast of Bartlett, Ohio on TR 61. It was built after a little girl slipped off of a swinging footbridge on her way to school and drowned in the flood swollen waters of the creek. It's also known as the Goddard Covered Bridge.

And now on to bridge number 3.....

The Shinn bridge was constructed in 1886 and then renovated in 1998. It's a single span of 99' over Wolf Creek located southwest of Wolf Creek, Ohio. It is still in use today.

The bridge was built as a result of a near drowning which happened when the Shinn family was crossing Wolf Creek in a rowboat. As they docked the boat their youngest child, a three year old girl, fell into the fast moving water. Only the quick action of her older brother saved her life. The bridge was originally built at a cost of $762.30.

It's interesting to know that two of the bridges were built because of tragedies or near tragedies.

Signing out and moving on................

Just GO! screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 05:50 PM
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote