View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #51
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
I went back and read your early emails and the following (highlighted in yellow) stood out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebohnet1 View Post
Okay, so here is the background. I have a 00 1150 GS with just over 63k. I was in Nova Scotia having a great vacation until my bike died on the side of the road on a rainy day. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebohnet1 View Post
Here is the email i got back from the dealer.

... (FINAL TEST WAS REPLACE THE ECM) DID SO WITH A DONOR BIKE. BIKE FIRED UP AND RAN GOOD. RE-INSTALLED OLD ECM AND BIKE RAN FINE AS WELL. NEXT DAY ROUTED THE WIRING HARNESS AND ZIP TIED. RE-INSTALLED THE FUEL TANK WOULD NOT START. REMOVED THE TANK AND STARTED TO OPEN THE WIRING HARNESS TO FIND A BROKEN OR CHAFED WIRE (NOTHING) TO COMPLETELY CHECK THE HARNESS THE BIKE WOULD NEED TO BE DISMANTLED TO REACH THE WIRES INDER THE BATTERY BOX...
The above symptoms make me think it could be water in the fuel. You would hope the mechanic would have checked for that early in the process and/or fixed it by default if they drained the tank to remove/inspect the fuel pump - but you never know... possibly they got so wrapped up in their computer diagnostic tests, they ignored the basics.

The other possibility that comes to mind would be a chafed plug wire arcing out to the underside of the tank (another thing that should have been relatively easy to find and fix).

I understand how the dealer could run up a big bill with lots of time spent troubleshooting - but they should have capped the charges well before $2000 and persevered until they found the problem. I realize the (potentially inept) mechanic still needs to be paid but the dealer certainly should not be making ANY profit from you, and if they have real integrity, they will be taking the financial hit, simply because it is the right thing to do. Only if they had to replace something really pricey such as the ECM or complete wiring harness (and it actually fixed the problem) could there be any justification for a bill approaching that magnitude.

Do you have the itemized bill?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote