View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #100
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616

The road turned to dirt just past town and we rode north, quickly gaining elevation. We had climbed from around 2000' up to 6000' and would stay around there for quite a few miles. Rounding a corner I caught a glimpse of rocky peaks, still capped with snow from the long winter. Skiers in Washington must have fared much better than the miserable conditions in the rest of the US this year.

We zipped along at a quick pace and enjoyed the cooler air at altitude. Riding through the burned forest was a little eerie, but allowed great photos and better views.

Crossing a cattle guard we ran into the only other vehicle we saw on the trail all day, a forest service truck taking things a bit slower than we.

We had a great time alternating the lead - after a few miles the leader would stop, snap photos, then drop back like in a pace line.

Me

Shawn - good lean for a dirt road :)

This wildfire must have been significant considering the area that was burned. For miles and miles we rode through the skeletons of a young forest.

Interestingly, some trees had burned significantly more than others leaving nothing left but a long slender trunk. Other trees merely had needles and small branches burned off.

The scale of the burn was spectacular, I found the areas which were spared to be particularly interesting. What factors contributed to a stand of live trees surrounded by burned ones? Wind, tree health, fire fighting?

Bernie took the lead with Shawn not far behind in the switchbacks.

The landscape has become less jagged, the mountains here more rolling.

epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote