View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #20
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,032
I know you have tracked this down and believe that your spark coil may be at the root of the problem. If that doesn't work out, you may want to check another aspect of your fuel delivery--volume and/or pressure.

This past summer I had symptoms very similar to yours--bike would run at lower speeds but open the throttle and it would die (story). When I checked the injectors, there was fuel. In my case though, within a half hour of experimenting, my bike (1150) refused to run. It would start but if I touched the throttle it would die. To make a long story short, two of the hoses inside the fuel tank had cracks in them that were limiting the volume of fuel that the pump could deliver. The cracks were not obvious.

Afterwards I realized there were two simple tests. First, check the return volume from the fuel distributor going back to the tank. At idle it should be about 2 liters per minute (less that 1.5 liters and you'll have a top-end fuel delivery shortage). Second, check the fuel system pressure if you can get your hands on a gauge. It should be 43.5 psi plus or minus a few psi. Since the fuel pressure regulator rarely fails, the return-volume test may be faster and just as illuminating.

Good luck.
RB

roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote