View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
I have the Adventure Spec crash bars and they are clearly the best out there...and I looked at everyones before buying. I didn't do the same search with the BMW skid plate and the welds show signs of cracking in two places. Not happy! Go with the Adventure Spec plate if you haven't bought it already.

Johnnydarock
I disagree. Are they good? Well, they're certainly better than nothing! But are they the best? Now this is qualitative statement which requires a bit of proof & justification.

Let's compare the mount options between the two. The Adventure Spec mount to the frame at six points. They are metal tabs which rely upon a bolt to pull in the mounting tabs to the outside of the frame.

Now compare to the AltRider ones. They mount to the frame at the same 6 points but it's obvious from the pictures they actually sit INSIDE of the frame mounts and the bolt pull the tabs internal to the frame mounting point. Plus provide resistance/reinforcement.

Realistically, you could have the AltRider ones work with barely any (0?) bolts because of the way it is designed.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote