View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Before we set of I'd like to introduce you to the bike and the route.

The bike is a BMW HP2 with standard framework and suspension. There are some gadgets on it like the additional tank (one left one right where assume an original tank). That means there are 3 reservoirs for fuel including the original one adding up to 33 liters. That should allow a range of about 600-700kms.

Unfortunately it is not my bike but it was (fortunately) given to me for that ride from a tiny aftermarket company in the German Black Forest. As you may imagine I still feel very privileged and thankful for that.

Ok now, lets have a look at the planned route:

As the starting point I've choosen Marseilles in France because it's with more than 2000 years the countries oldest city. Furthermore it was founded as a trading port by ancient greek tradesmen. From Marseilles the route was supposed to go anticlockwise to North-Africa and the Middle East as I was starting in spring and was trying to avoid the brain-evaporating heat of the African Summer there. But, what I didn't know at the planning stage, exactly that was about to happen ....

Two corners would be causing problems:
1. The border between Morocco and Algeria is closed for ages. I will try to do a little ferry-ping-pong Spain-Morocco-Spain-Algeria to solve the problem.

2. Israel. You shouldn't put a wheel on that country. If you do, neither Lebanon, Syria nor - in the other direction - Libya will let you enter. The plan is circuumnavigate Israel via Jordan.

Anyway, the final route that I did was this:

40.000 kms instead of the planned 22.000kms, 28 ferry crossings instead of 3 and uncountable moments I'd never expect to happen.
kimangao is offline   Reply With Quote