View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDinNH View Post
Although I agree with most of what you say, and I don't know exactly why Bob, that paragraph strikes me as very "elitist". It may be just the way I read it, but it seems to me that you are saying that just because you don't run knobbies and don't do a lot of "mud" and single track to bash your bike up makes you a "wannabe".

I know that for the fire roads and National Forest roads that I run in NH, Tourances work just fine and I run slow enough to hardly ever need my bash plate or crash bars. I see way more moose that way They are there simply for "insurance" for me. Sure, if I was gonna do Alaksa or Labrador, I'd use different tires, but the Tourances or the Anakees would go back on when I got home. For general use, they work just fine for me. Plus, given the "road maintenance" (or lack of it) that Vt and NH are doing these days, you need one of these "adventure bikes" just to get around on the back roads up here.

I guess it all depends on how you define "Adventure Riding".

Another point is that I'm grateful for these people. Although they may not use the bike in the way you would like in order to define them as true "Adventure Riders", if they were not buying them, no one would be making them for you "knarly dirt riders" to use. Sales are sales to BMW and it is what drives these bikes into and out of the market place. I would hope that many of these so called "posers" keep buying them so the bikes continually get improved and are around for everyone to use. The 658 is a great bike even if you never take it off road.

I don't think I'm being an elitist. There are many better off road riders than I...certainly now I very seldom get on a jeep trail or single track. There are many road riders better than I too.

I like to wander around...back roads, dirt roads...the far north...

I'm too old and too weak to mussle a 500lb bike around in the dirt....let along pull it out of a mud bog...so I don't go close to any of that stuff any more!

Re tires. I've settled on Tourance EXP for most of my riding. When I went to Alaska and thought about riding the Dempster and Dalton in the very likely wet weather, I put a set of Hideneaus on my bike. I highly recommend them for long distance dirt road riding. They wear forever!
Now that i'm home, they are off the bike, sitting in my barn waiting for my next long dirt road trip.

I agree about the poor back roads....that is one of the reasons I have the F650GS. and not my old R1100RT. The 19 front wheel is clearly better...especially on dirt roads.

I do look at things critically....seperate real motorcycle needs from eye candy or the "current" look. Just my nerd showing thru.
Two point I was trying to make. 1 Motorcycle are meant to be fun, bring joy to their owners. 2 Many owner find that joy of ownership by have the motorcycle represent a lifestyle or image,,, how it looks, how one looks on the motor cycle as much if not more than how the motorcycle actually performs or how much of the motorcycle performance they actually use.

Everyone, please enjoy your ride!
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote