View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
No real judgement here, as I have done lots of stupid stuff. Just some comments about the specific area you were riding, since I know it really well.

I have ridden my big KTM all over Cloudcroft. Since the roads are all old logging roads, they are easy riding compared to say, 4WD roads in Colorado. A lot of the two track ATV stuff is fun to ride as well, if you can ride a big bike like a dirt bike. That said, a wrong turn and a big bike and it soon puts the ADV in a big GS in a hurry.

The good thing about Cloudcroft is you are never too far from a campsite or a house. Dispersed camping along all the FS roads is very popular and most weekends the forest is full of folks. You tell a good story and I am glad you are fine.

I can ride my big KTM like a dirt bike up to the point that terrain and weight take over. If I am by myself, I dial my hero meter way back and don't take too many chances. Cloudcroft has all kind of old roads that still show up on GPS units. I'd navigate by looking at the moss on trees and following elk or bear tracks before I followed a GPS without reservation up there. Been riding Cloudcroft for 20 years.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote