View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #29
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
The 658 is a capable bike. Stock its a little funky, with way to long a wheelbase IMO at roughly 62" for its low height.
For those that understand low rpm torque, you can drive the 658 off the bottom.
It is deceivingly fast. Faster than my Triumph Scrambler and faster than my friends 1200 Guzzi Coppa Italia. The Guzzi whoops on my Scrambler.
I bought mine because its the lightest twin cylinder street motorcycle available (originally stated at 377 lbs dry, although they bumped up the weight spec).
The 658 is a good candidate to build up.
Put an 800 aftermarket shock on and work the front to an equal height (various ways) and you have a tall-ish, light-ish adv touring steed with 19/17 tubeless wheels.
A nice combo.
I just did a 3000 mile + trip on mine. I carved the twisties, ran dirt and got up to 62 mpg. A great adv tourer for me.

I think the 700 is a good looking, classy upgrade to the 650. Wish I had one.

Hey Max,

Love your Scrambler. How do you like it compared to the 658? I just picked up a 2009 658 and absolutely love it, but I kind of miss my old '74 CB550. (although I don't miss wrenching) The more 'open' back-roads touring feel. (Probably just nostalgia, since it's hard to quantify that sense.) My 550 was a bit underpowered for 2500 mile trips, and maintaining 4 carbs, etc was not exactly a joy. I'm considering buying a Scrambler although I know my 658 far exceeds it in technology, handling, and everything else. I'd keep the 658 and see how I felt after a season or two.

I know you really dig your 658... but there must be a reason you have the Scrambler kicking around?

Thanks.
CanadaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote