View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #61
JimRidesThis
Local celebrity

Oddometer: 223
Thumb The Lake District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwer View Post
Walking around reminded me of trekking in Nepal – postcards everywhere you look. The great thing is that there’s this
public bridleway system that allows people to walk across private land (particularly farms), so you walk through forest and up hills and through fields and over fences and so forth, taking in the views. The other cool thing was that this being spring, the fields were full of cute little lambs that’d run away as I walked past. With the perfect weather it was like some kind of pastoral paradise.

On the second day I took the panniers off the bike, gave George the GPS a route I’d found on the internet and went for a proper ride, and it was great. Endless narrow winding roads with amazing viewsI’ve got to say, the Versys is perfect for buzzing through these tiny bumpy roads...The other great thing about the lakes is that one second you’re riding alongside a pristine lake, the next thing you’re climbing a winding mountain pass, and the next you’re sweeping through farmland on a plateau. It’s very varied and very beautiful.

I’ve got to say, my visit to the Lakes really made me glad I’m doing this by bike – if I hadn’t looked at the map and thought “I only want to go so far in a day, what’s between Edinburgh and London?” then I’d never have come here, and I’d certainly have had much more problems getting around if I did.
It's really interesting to read a visitors take on where you live. The Lake District is my back garden (not literally!) and while I can appreciate it's beauty, I always envy overseas inmates for the shear quantity and variety of the riding you have. I guess it's a case of 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence'. Well, thanks for your observations of The Lake District Alex , I'll try to view it with the same appreciation in future.

The rest of your ride report is excellent too - great writing style.

1995 R1100GS aka "Herr Flick"
1985 XL600R aka "Tamworth"

JimRidesThis screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 03:37 PM
JimRidesThis is offline   Reply With Quote