View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by naginalf View Post
Tin, used in solder, corrodes easily, this corrosion is not only conductive, but also crystalizes, meaning that it grows in whiskers, and as soon as they touch, you have a short. If that doesn't kill your electronics, then the brittleness of the solder will when it cracks and breaks, especially when exposed to temperature extremes or weather (like on a bike). These things usually happen only after 2+ years of use, primarily after your warranty is up, and they are easily solved by adding LEAD to the solder.
I think the board in the m-unit is encapsulated in a hefty block of epoxy (at least it looks that way in photos, I still haven't seen one in the flesh yet), so that solves the corrosion and vibration issues, but I see where you're coming from. Ultimately, I think it will be more reliable than the stock harness, as in it will stay problem free for longer, but it will NOT be in any way repairable. So I wouldn't be installing this if I weren't confident in my ability to rewire my bike in the middle of nowhere. I can rip a wire from somewhere and get power from the battery straight to the ignition and bump start it to get home. There will always be that fallback. I totally understand where you're coming from though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 03:50 PM
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote