View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
The lack of quality solder has been around since the mid 90s, maybe earlier. It is a common issue for Dodge mini vans of that era to have a lot of electrical issues that a lot of mechanics just can't figure out. I have fixed at least 20 of them for friends just by pulling the dash guages out and resoldering every connection on them. Put them back together and no more faults, flashing lights, computer issues, stalling for no apparent reason, etc. Some people have spent a lot of money on replacement computers and all sorts of other things that can all be fixed by just touching up the solder joints with some good old fashioned lead based solder, especially the main large plug on the back. I am just waiting for the EPA to knock on my door.

As to worring about what this unit will be like in 5-10 years, not for me to say. But the stock wiring on my present 2 bikes is well over 30 years old. I clean all connections every winter, when it is too cold and wet to ride. Then I can ride the rest of the year with no worries.

I think that sometimes people look for a fix for something that isn't necessarily broken. But, if they did not do this, we would surely loose out on a lot of advancements. So, please, anyone that wants to try out these umits, please do so and report back with any installation issues, reliability issues, etc. Maybe some of us old fuddy-duddys will learn something from you younger whipper snappers.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote