View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #39
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb Thanks for the invite

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-ray View Post
Looks like a great trip. Judging by your yarn on the map it doesn't look like you will be hitting Louisiana but drop me a line (or yarn) if you head my way. I'll have at least a cold beverage for you if you do!
Hey Moto-Ray thanks for the invite. One of the great things about my route planning is it's easily changed. Angele and I did a great trip back in 2008 in our Chevy Van pulling a small fibreglass trailer. We drove from Vancouver, down the West Coast, turned left as we neared Mexico, followed the USA/Mexico border all the way to South Padre Island Texas, then followed the Gulf Coast to Florida before heading north into Maine and eventually home to NB. We were on the road ten weeks. Awesome time together!

We passed through Louisianna on that trip. I remember one evening we were looking for a place to camp between Pt Arthur TX and Holly Beach, LA. I pulled into Holly Beach and was dumbstruck by the devastation Katrina had caused. The town was gone! We doubled back to a campground we had passed, it was dark by the time we got back and we pulled in. The owner was the kindest person we met on our trip. When she heard we had come from Vancouver and were headed to New Brunswick,(Canada's Acadian area where the Cajuns came from) the long way, she refused to accept any payment for the night. She explained she was thrilled to have tourists returning to the Gulf and said she had done well hosting workers who were living in her campground in trailers as they repaired a large oil refinery in Port Arthur. It stuck me that the person who had faced the most adversity was so generous to us. She was a great representative of Louisianna

I would love to pass through there again.
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote