View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #27
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
I can see how major damage would occur if the centrifugal filter came loose but mine has a tabbed washer that locks the nut in place. You can see one of the tabs in this pic. The oil pump drive chain and sprockets show no sign of wear. There isn't much stress on it and it gets plenty of oil.

Cam chains and tensioners have been a weak point in many Honda engine designs. The parallel twins with the chain in the middle required a major tear down to replace. Even my old CX500 push rod engine had cam chain guide issues at about 50K miles and the early ones had a factory recall on the tensioner.

I like the design of this engine and understand why the Honda CG125 that it is based on is so popular where it's sold. While not the most powerful 200cc engine around it has a very linear power band and always runs the same regardless of temperature or humidity.

BTW to answer the question in the previous post then engine has over 37,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Lifan 200 seems to be a well designed and decent quality engine. I also had a 2007 Lifan LF200GY-5 dual sport bike, unfortunately it did not last long. Just past 3500 miles, that centrifugal oil filter came loose from the crankshaft and destroyed the engine. I was way out in the desert at the time, fortunately within cell phone service range. The filter was installed with just a nut, no lock washer, or any sign of thread locker. The nut just came loose. If it hadn't been for that, it may very well have lasted a very long time, as I over maintained it. Maybe someone at the factory just forgot to put locktite on it, but I would have used either a Nyloc nut, or a a flat washer that could be bent around the nut, like is used on many clutch nuts. One thing I really liked about that engine was the pushrod OHV design. I am not a fan of non replaceable internal cam chains. It does look like the oil pump is chain driven, but you can get to it. With that many miles on it, I'd replace that chain.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote