View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,479
Mine was purchased for the same price and drop shipped from the same place. 3 of my friends bought the same bike a couple weeks later. No one has had a single engine problem.

It's too bad Lifan didn't continue to offer those super low prices long enough to get their name known in the US. I wouldn't buy a new one at the prices they're asking now. I would however buy their engines to put in older bikes to get them back on the road, and have so far done that with 3 bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Ah, that explains it. My engine did not have that part. BTW, I got my bike for under $1400 online, from a dealer who had it drop shipped to me from Texas. I thought that was quite a deal. American Lifan no longer sells that model, as far as I can tell, and all of their bikes have now become so expensive (they refuse to sell them in any other way than through an authorized dealer, who gets a big chunk of the profit) that buying a slightly used Japanese bike is now a better option in many cases. I replaced mine with a Yamaha XT225, which I got for not much more, with only 1800 miles on it. It now has close to 30,000 on it, and the only issue has been with the starter clutch, which I blame on bad design. I replaced about $150 worth of parts to fix it, then turned around and installed the kickstarter assembly from a TTR-225 on it. I now mostly use the kickstarter. To it's benefit, the Lifan also had a kickstarter, something that has long been lacking on Japanese dirt/dual sport bikes.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote