View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #42
biodieselandon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Well the fun didn't last very long. Just a few weeks ago I was on my way back from my parents' house in Tonasket, WA (about 150 miles from where I live) and I was about a mile from my house at midnight when I hit a deer doing ~60 miles an hour. Due to the fact that I was wearing all of my BMW riding gear, and also pure luck, I walked away unharmed. The bike is a different story. I was actually able to ride it the rest of the way home. The damage isn't really that bad considering how far the bike (and I) slid on the pavement. So far the insurance company is determined to fix it but BMW hasn't even released part numbers for the '13s yet. Anyways just thought I would share how tough this bike really is with only cosmetic damage, and also to remind everyone to always wear proper gear. I used to ride without gloves when it was hot out, but looking at how well my BMW Rallye 3 gloves saved my hands I will never ride without gloves again. If I had been wearing jeans I would have probably lost my knee cap, broken my hip, and at the very least scraped up my entire right leg. The BMW Boulder 2 Neon jacket protected my right elbow and arm, as well as my belly and my back. Not saying everyone should go out and buy BMW gear, but at the very least wear something that is abrasion resistant.

Here is a pic of the damaged side of my F800... Oh yeah, the deer did not survive.

"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote