View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #45
biodieselandon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsource View Post
I have the Remus Hexacore with the larger diameter headers. A aftermarket skid plate will not fit over these headers without modifications. I used The BDCW Skid plate. I had to remove with a 45 degree angle grinder, material off the skid plate to accommodate the Spring on the Connector of the lower header pipe, grind off a portion of the plate to accommodate the spring travel on my center stand, and grind out an area to keep the upper header pipe from vibrating on the side of the plate. I also lined the plate with heat resistant rubber tiles, to muffle the echo from the engine - the plate is so inclined to produce. I also bought a Scotts Stabilizer because my TKC80s were giving high speed wobbles on the freeway, and I just slapped Heidenau tires on, and I like them better. Because the front forks are non adjustable, I bottom out easily, so I do not ride crazy in the dirt to warrant the TKC80s. I got 6000 miles out of mine, and I will not be buying them again. I bought aftermarket lighting. Clearwater Glendas and Kristas. That I would recommend to anyone, if they can swing the price. I put brighter bulbs in my regular headlights as they made it seem dangerous to drive at night. Rock chip guard for the headlight, a larger kickstand foot was a necessity for off road parking, and I bought a brake pedal enlarger and BDCW Footpegs. Those are great! Anyway. Thats my take.
I got a chance to really look close at an F800 that was farkled with BDCW products. Looks like their skid plate covers a lot more of the engine and even protects the headers. Where did you get the heat resistant rubber? I really like the BDCW products and I think I will use their skid plate. My question is, it looks like it covers quite a bit of the bottom of the engine so is there any need to get the Touratech engine guard extension that bolts to the center stand? I would go with TT for the skid plate but it doesn't cover very much and in the pictures I see it leaves the headers completely exposed! Also, I do plan on eventually going with the full Remus system. Can you provide more details on what material you had to remove to make the BDCW plate fit?
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote