View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,142
Are washing machines supposed plug into a GFIC and other wiring questions

I'm replacing a bunch of ancient, worn out, loose plug recepticles in my house and started in the garage. I have an odd mix of aluminum and copper wiring in this house that is confusing the hell out of me, but that's really another thread. I am making sure to use recepticles that are rated for both aluminum or copper and tightening the fuck out of the connection screws. In any case, I moved into the untility room and the only 120VAC outlet in there is for the washing machine (we don't have a washer at the moment).

There are a few things going on here that have me a little bit confused:

1) this outlet is directly across the wall from an outlet in the garage. They are both on the same breaker circuit which is a 20 amp in the panel but nothing else is on this circuit.

2.) The feeder wires for the washer outlet are aluminum, and then copper wires go off the second set of screws on that recepticle to the outlet in the garage. The outlet in the garage was a 15 amp (and I replaced it with such because I'm matching what was there for the time being) and the outlet for the washer was a 20 amp. All the other outlets in the garage (two more) are on a seperate circuit which is copper wiring, at least where I see it at the recepticles.

3.) the ground wire for the outlet in the garage was not connected to anything where it came into the washer outlet box, but the ground connection on the washer outlet was a short piece of bare aluminum connected to the electrical box chassis? I connected both ground wires (the wire from the garage outlet and the aluminum wire from the box chassis) to the ground connection on the new washer outlet. A recepticle analyzer is showing correct connections and a properly functioning outlet.

RE#1: Is it safe to have two outlets running on a 20 amp circuit for the washer? I plug my battery tender and occasionally my small 4 gallon air compressor (12 amp draw) into this oulet (the one in the garage), though I can move the air compressor.

RE#2: Am I to assume that the outlet in the garage was home owner installed? It's not at the usuall floor level and the box was badly mounted with a crooked nail. Also, why a 15 amp recepticle on this 20 amp circuit? Should both be 20 amp outlets? (assuming, by question 1 it is safe to do so) I also assume, since I'm using the correct rated recepticles, it is safe for both aluminum and copper wiring to be attached to the same recepticle on their own respective screws?

RE#3: WTF is with this ground? ANd lastly, is the washer supposed to have a GFIC plug instead of the regular 20 amp I used?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 06:52 AM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote