View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Strog OP
Geek on two wheels

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoduc1 View Post
Lots of stories on this site about guys going long distances to buy bikes...but this is the first one I've read about taking a road trip to give one away! Makes a fellow Nebraskan proud! Good karma will come around.

Did I miss something somewhere? Do you have a replacement bike in mind?
I was fully prepared to be without a bike for a while if necessary. I promised my wife that I wouldn't touch the general budget for this trip or for a replacement bike. She thought I might just be wanting a new bike out the deal.

I gave the bike away on a Wednesday and my brother-in-law contacts me on the following Monday. He tells me that he's coming out for a photoshoot at the end of the month. He left his car in OK at his parent's when they moved back to CA this spring. He's doing the shoot and then driving the car back. He only has 2 parking spots where he lives so there's no room for his bike ('06 F650GS). He tells me that I can have it if I come out to get it. I'm flying out there on the 21st and riding back that week.

Watch for another ride report soon. That will be the more "traditional" fly and ride.

I bounced the whole idea off my brother-in-law before I even talked to my wife. Apparently that got the wheels turning for him. He will probably eventually sell the car and get a Multistrada 1200 (or finally that Moto-Guzzi Griso he wants) to be his only transportation so it's not a bad deal for him either. I had no idea he was going to do this though I figured out where his story was going when he started telling me.

The kid fixed up a 3-wheeler he'd put together from parts and gave it to his cousin when he heard that I'm giving him the bike. Then he finds a deal on a CB550 on craigslist and buys that for his dad to ride with him. It's identical (one year different) to his dad's 1st bike.

It's cool watching the reactions this has set off.

Strog screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 11:59 AM Reason: he story? How many more typos got through?
Strog is offline   Reply With Quote