View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #47
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Are you using City Navigator or 24K or some map that auto-routes? Using 100K Topo, I've never had issues with routes doing strange things or recomputing on the unit. They seem to transfer to the GPS exactly the way I drew them on Mapsource. The maps on Mapsource aren't always accurate so sometimes the routes are off because of that, but that is no fault of the GPS or routes themselves.

I must have my GPS set up with simple functions. My screen never rotates at an upcoming turn, it only rotates when I turn the bike in a different direction.

I do mainly use CN on my computer and create auto-routes. Sometimes I have to use 24k Topos when the roads I want aren't in CN. I convert those routes to tracks for navigation.

Yes it is the autorouting that causes most of the problems. If you use 100k Topos, there is not much difference between tracks and the direct routing these maps use. My eyes are still not too bad and I can see the tracks if I pick a good color. But I have several friends who really need that thick magenta line. I understand some units like the 276 can treat the track like a route and put the thick line in. Autorouting will only allow 50 way or via points in a route. I learned this the hard way once. There is a much higher limit for direct routes.

There are some who advocate creating finely sampled direct routes using 100k Topos and using these to navigate. These will then of course show up with the magenta line when activated.

I tried this once because it seems like a good way to augment the 20 track limit in the 60. It worked well. Another advantage or disadvantage depending on how you look at it is the the "track" does not show up unless you activate it for navigation.

**Edit: I also know for a fact like NMTrailBoss that the 50 way/via point limit does not apply to Direct Routes. I have heard the limit is 256 but do not know that for a fact. The one time I tried it I had maybe 200.

wbbnm screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 03:57 PM
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote