View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #30
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Sand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Well I'm still learning. It is really smooth about 2 days after a rain. I've learned to go faster and let her have her head, at least until the deep soft ruts. I guess the trade off is going fast you don't fall as much, but when you do, it hurts worse. I guess everyone has a best speed for them and their bike. Much of it is fairly hard packed around here. I'm still experimenting on how much I can lean in the curves with my set up. Come on down. Funny, I head North every chance I get.
Hey Cap - I struggled recently trying to re-learn sand in Arizona, where I keep a Yamaha WR250R dual sport. There is a 13 mile natural drainage there called Camp Creek Wash. I was asked by an inmate to scout sections of the Great Western Trail with a GPS as the GWT is sort of a work-in-progress. It included this wash as a connector of two big sections and they wanted me to see if it was big bike friendly.

I tried 3X to ride that wash and failed from both ends of it. After a couple days pondering my struggles I decided to mount a new front tire and try again. Many inmates gave me riding tips too. So I went back with a fresh tire and a mind to improve my technique. I did it in about 60 minutes end to end.

I had the OEM Bridgestone Deathwings on it. The new tire was a Michelin T63. It was like night and day in the sand. It was good in the mud too, but the only place to test it there is water crossings.

So my suggestion is to get one of those T63's for the front of that KLR. Speedwise, I found I had to keep it up above 16mph and generally a bit higher. This stuff was deep! I stopped once, and it was very hard to get going again with the bars waggling and such. I think 30mph would have been best, but I am sensitive to falling off at much speed too. 16 was good for me.

Yes, it was Abercorn I guess... And don't go ruining my long cherished images with realities like grandkids!

Pantah screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 05:22 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote