View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
ejute OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
I'm running VM38s on my '77 R100/7 which is stock down to the stock clamshell airbox and elbows.
Your Q5 sounds like it's way too rich.
Here is what I'm running:

Description Spec
Main Jet 210
Pilot Jet 25
Needle Jet 166 P-8
Jet Needle 6DH3
Slide Cut Away 2
Main Air Jet 0.5
Needle Valve Ass'y 3.3

The engine pulls really strong throughout the revrange, It's a little cold blooded and I'm thinking going up a bit on the pilots to take care of that.
Mixed surface streets and freeway I get 40 mpg which is up from the 35 mpg I got with the Bings.
WELL...running too rich? that’s what I thought...I just got back from a 430km or 267M run at highway speed approx. 120km/h or 70 -75 mph. I calculated my fuel consumption to be about 47M to the us mpg running on Aussie 95 octane fuel.
I think I was getting around 36-37 us mpg on my Bings that are due for some TLC.
Plug examination (I should have put in new plugs before left..but didn't??) They look light coloured I think, definitely not dark or sooty.
I did notice when cruising at the above speed that when rolling on and off the throttle to maintain speed, it felt a bit hesitant kinda missing but when I opened the throttle at this speed it would pull strongly.
When I do a cold start, it is hard to warm up, it dies and stumbles when pulling away or accelerating after turning a corner etc. When warmed up it runs… not too bad.
As I mentioned above I have refitted the 30 pilot jet and have the air mixture screw at 1 turns out and the needle set at the second notch up from the bottom (bottom being the pointy end)230 main jet

SOOO….Wot do ya reckon?
ejute is offline   Reply With Quote