10-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Joined: Mar 2009
Nice work on the CNC Tommi, nice and simple !
As far as the Tower is concerned, I made some progress today. It needs some minor modifications but for the first prototype I am very happy and it is pretty solid even without bolting all the connections.
So... here it is
Pardon the quality but I was in the garage with my mobile phone only, I will post high quality pics in a future post... The lights come from ADVmonster, two wide and two spot beams...
That was a close call... Considerig the moke up was made from paper and the measurements where taken using a ruler at least it doesnt touch the fork.. it is ok at the moment... In Beta_2 these minor things will be fixed to allow more room for the forks ... I had to use these parts upside down to bring the extra lights higher, I may have to change this support but I am not sure. Time will tell
I envy these people who have a garage, a table to put everything on while I must have all the nuts and bolts on the floor while people come in to park their cars ... And holly mother of God whenever I forget something I have to pack everything, secure them, go home and then fo back to the garage again, unpack everything and continue ...
Sometimes I loose the odd washer or something but anyways...
Four mini toggles with four led lights ...
So, to sum up ...
1) It easier to install it if you have another person helping you or if you have the right tools for the job... I have given my Facom case to a friend so with the small Beta case installing all the nylock nuts was difficult so I put normal ones with nord locks in order to be able to adjust the position of the Tower, lights etc...
The final version will have both nord locks and nylock nuts.
2) It is very solid it does not look that it would vibrate so much but that is something I have to check when the bike fires up...
3) The side lights interfere with the KTM fairing ... The slots need to be a little wider and that will be done immediately
4) The main KTM switch interferes with the tower base ... (the cables coming from the bottom of the switch), Prototype 1 will be modified to accommodate the switch cables and the design will be altered so the final version is ok.... Question: The main switch has safety bolts that do not have anything to grab on to remove them as the nuts breaks when installing to prevent unauthorised removal... Is the only way drilling ?
5) The fairing needs to be modified. Well, the tower actually fits with the normal fairing but then again I like more the vertical fairing look and it allows for more positions to choose from ...
Now, the modular design of this thing allows me to remove the Roadbook and the IMOs and put back the KTM speedo with the switches I choose. See below...
Four toggle switches on top, with led lights, three illuminated rocker switches below the speedo and another three toggles on the right. Both the units above and to the right of the speedo are removable.
That makes either seven, or ten switches comfigurations ...
Another config above and just the speedo below...
The unit above uses the ''shaft'' that the roadbook assembly is fixed (the shaft like the one on Tommi's post above...) so by using removable connectors everywhere it will be a quick change. I will add the ability to add ICO's to the above so for everyday use you still have all the switches (lights, grips, fans etc) with a more of a ''normal use'' look ...
I will test the tower until the mid November and if it needs to be modified I will proceed to that end. At the end of November there is the 24hrs Rally Raid in which I will race test it and if it stays in one piece we are good to go ... It has so many degrees of freedom to adjust it so I want to make sure once you set it up it stays where it should... Last year another 640 Adv (not my own ) broke the subframe and threw away its number plate, the side covers and the rear rack without the owner noticing it ... I guess lighter is better
I received from speedaway.co.uk my new cable harness with all the other auxiliary cables and I have bought everything but the mini toggles so come Wednesday I will take the bike to a nice guy to sort out the electrics and do the minor modifications to the tower... I may just have enough time to anodise it black before the race just to see how anodising behaves in difficult conditions... It has to be anodised anyway to be protected from environmental attack...
oFF i gO !
Aurora Rally Equipment
- Rally parts with lifetime warranty
"Do or Do Not. There is No Try" - Yoda
640 Armageddon screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 11:29 PM