Thread: airhead noob
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #35
scout18 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
I have been researching that in exhausting detail. I used a propane torch to get it hot. I followed the directions here,

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/wheel_bearing/index.htm

and out hey popped slick as could be. Following the directions again I put the new ones in just as easy as the old ones came out. The reason I took them out in the first place was that in a post purchase inspection it was pointed out that there was a lot of play at the rear wheel. On further inspection it was revealed that the left bearing cup had spun in the hub. After much gnashing of teeth and hair pulling it was decided to use a high temp variety of green loctite to hold it in while I search for a reasonably priced rear wheel to replace this one with. There is also the option of machining out a bit more of the hub to install a sleeve to fit the bearing cup into. Monday night I'll put the wheel back on the bike to set the bearing preload and then move on to the rings to see whats up there. The compression test showed 150 and 160 put with a leak down of over 50% in each cylinder.

scout18 is offline   Reply With Quote