View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #77
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,624
Me and mtngal took off on a 2-up ride on Friday, September 21, 2012. I had just returned from an 11 day ride to and back from New Brunswick Canada and enjoyed the seafood on the northern coast so much that I decided I might as well finish eating my way down the east coast but I wanted my favorite partner in crime and Sweetheart along with me so we were gone for about 8 days. It was a blast and she did most of the photography. We were in NC, TN, VA, back in NC, and ended up in Charleston SC before we got back. Following is from day one:

Ready to roll about 9:30 am from mtngals place.

A familiar site for us about 10 minutes down the road: I can remember when those tags looked a lot newer

Fog rises off Spring Creek below:

Rolling straight on through a familiar town:

The French Broad reminds me of the Chocolate River in New Brunswick today. Guess we had a good rain south of here.

We will cross these mountains on our way up to Tennessee. In fact, I think we crossed the Appalachian Trail about 7 times today. Several times around Hot Springs, again at the top of the Mountain on 25-70 and soon again on 212 going into TN.

On the way toward TN:

We always try to travel back roads and farmlands on our rides and this trip is no exception. We noticed a real variety of farmlands, crops, and livestock over the next week. Here we see a mature tomato crop and tobacco that looks about ready to hang for curing:

Not far down the road is another tomato field and the farmers are busy picking their harvest.

Here the AT crosses again on 212 at the TN Line:

Now this is mtngal and our big GS bike ready to keep rolling:

Before pulling out, we find a "Lucky Dime" which rode with us in the tank bag map viewer to remainder of the journey:

We took a brief detour and restroom break on Clear Branch Road to see Tennessee's Welcome Center voted best in the state. This photo from their parking looking back in the direction from whence we came.

A shot taken on the move toward the AT crossing on 91/133 on the way to Shady Valley above Elizabethton, TN.

Map and info at the AT crossing in the Gap entering Shady Valley. Nice spot for a stop and we saw some neat finches feeding on thistle seed and a good job by mtngal to capture one in her camera:

Ok, taking a break from this post of day one, back later...

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote