View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by texci77 View Post
This is exactly right, its not the fact that it got scratched, its the fact that is got scratched for $100 an hour. If I want my bike scratched I would do the work on it myself.
Yep. As a counter-example I took a wheel into a local independent to get a tire mounted because I didn't have time to do it myself before I left on a trip. When I went to pick it up, he said "terribly sorry, I put a little nick in your rim, so no charge, and I touched it up for you (it's black)". I just laughed and asked him how he decided which nick was his and which of the other dozen were mine

I argued about paying him since he's a small one-person shop, but he wouldn't take a nickel. That was the first time I'd used him, and I've given him repeat business, and will continue to do so. I couldn't have cared less about a little nick on a battered rim, but the fact that he owned up to it up front spoke volumes about his character.

A BMW dealer charging big $$ should not be scratching things on a new expensive bike, and when they do, they should own up to it and make it right. If they don't, it says a lot about the quality of their workmanship. You have to wonder how good a job they're doing on the parts that really matter.