View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
Hi this is my first post so hello and here goes! I am looking at buying a new bike. I let my klr 650 go a little bit ago manly because i want something that can do two up highway riding easy and also have fun off road. I was looking forward to test riding one of these bikes this week but after reading the "Has BMW worked the bugs out of the 800 by now?" thread i am thinking these things might not be worth the money. I feel that for what this bike cost you should be able to get a bike the is pretty darn reliable and is mostly sorted out. I am open to any advice about the bike and any other options.

I tried to answer the problems enumerated in that thread, apparently I raised more in your mind.

I have owned mine for 4 years now. Lots of quality issues the first year but fixed under warranty and have not come back. NO problems in 3+ years.

As an aside, we preorders got our bikes 5 mos before the general public. No bikes to ride, the mags said they were great. We started the ADV complaint list. If I read all the posts, I probably would not have bought it.

I added mods, just like you probably did on your KLR. I am happy with it.

The 2013 has 43mm WP forks instead of the 45mm zokes. It has a vented flywheel which may stop potential stator issues. Too soon to tell if either is better. I don't know if they have changed the rear shock mount, but the old one worked out to one bent bolt to 10 pages of complaints. Don't ride the bumpy stuff 2 up on the stock spring. If you do, buy a brace. If you go aftermarket, to ride the rough stuff, buy a brace.

No Triumph to buy when I got the BMW. If my riding was more road with dirt roads thrown in, I would probably pick that. A smooth engine. A triple's engine characteristics won't be a factor unless your ride is loose stuff or mud. I have ridden some shop rides and the riders do fine with them. My bike does have a little more travel, higher ground clearance and in the next week or two I can conduct my own comparison test.

I looked at the KTM. What kept me from buying was the weight and height of it. I found it and the HP intimindating. Not a factor for a skilled rider. Better suspension out of the box, more hp for the road and better components all around. But you pay for that.
They are thirsty bikes.

Go ride one and then decide.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 07:24 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote