View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,266
Checking in after 4 days in Death Valley

There is a ton of information I gathered in the last four days of riding in Death Valley. I will be writing up a detailed report but for now here are the highlights:

1. Death Valley dirt roads are a whole new ball game this year. Don't ride alone especially if you are new to DV.
2. South Pass is the worst I have ever seen it as well as the west end of South Park
3. Lots of "Road Closed" signs all over the place
4. The Stop N Go Gas station in Trona is now Vallero and was pumping gas yesterday
5. Small and large washouts on North Pass can jump up and grab you if you are not paying close attention
6. The first 2 miles heading north from the Saline Valley Hot Springs on Steele Pass is OK but then the trail completely disappears for the next 10 miles because it has been completely washed out. We just stayed in the wash and headed for the saddle and watched where the trail was suppose to be on the GPS. We made it to Eureka Dunes but just barely. Don't ride this if you are unfamiliar with the area.

We rode over 600 miles in four days and there was evidence of flash floods and washouts all over the park.

None of this stopped the three of us from having an Epic ride but we are very familiar with the area and were riding a KTM 500, KTM 525 and a dual sported XR600. All three bikes are light enough to handle this plus we have lots of years of experience riding the desert.

I'm very glad I bought the 5.3 gallon Acerbis fuel tank for my KTM 500EXC. Two of our days were over 220 miles between gas stops.

More later............

2on2off screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 05:41 PM
2on2off is online now   Reply With Quote