This 1972 Yamaha is the first motorcycle I ever owned. It is the bike I learned to ride on. I completely brutalized this thing during high school.
It's been sitting in a barn on my parent's farm since I graduated (1987). I finally retrieved it last year with the intention of rebuilding it.
Once I started looking it over I came to realize just how bad I had treated it. Swingarm is bent, footpeg assembly is missing, handlebars bent, levers abused, turn signals broken off, etc.... you get the picture.
I'm starting this thread to document the process, but more importantly to get help and feedback along the way. This is going to be a learning process for me.
Here are some pictures of the teardown process so far.
I believe this mileage to be a bit short of actual:
I decided to start at the front and work my way back:
I plan to stick with the stock burgundy paint color for the fuel tank, oil tank, fork ears, and headlight bucket:
My apologies for the blurry iPhone picture. I've written notes on blue painters tape and attatched to the wiring harness as I disassembled. I am planning to run only headlight and tail light on the rebuild:
Parts table is filling up:
This is where it sits as of now: