Thread: Advice please
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate View Post
Thanks for the advice, but honestly to the novice mechanic here I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of that. I guess what I want to hear is "get these springs, they don't cost much, follow the service instructions and replace the OEM parts".

That sounds great... running out of ruts and failing causes at least half of my falls. But really, over $500? Nothing cheaper and/or is it really worth it?

I did mention being on a budget right? At what point is it cheaper to get a second bike that's a "true" dual-sport for a couple grand? (maybe that's what I should learn on anyway, but I truly love the idea of a bike that does it all!)
Buy a Bitubo .60kg front spring, run 10 wt fork oil. Air gap is some what personal. Stock is 60mm with the fork collapsed and the spring out. I would start with a 110mm air gap.

Loosen top fork bolts. Loosen fork cap. Remove forks, take the cap off. Replace oil, spring and leave the spacer out, if the Bitubo spring is longer than stock, as I remember it to be.

Remove shock. You need a spring compressor to remove spring. Replace with a Hyper pro. Make sure you tighten to shock bolts to 74ft lbs.

I ran the bike with the modded suspension for 2 years without a stabilizer and lived to tell about it. I have ridden for 45 years and it was my first one. I think it is worth it, but it won't fix suspension shortcomings.

I just priced the Bitubo spring. Ouch!!. Contact member LaPorte for a second opinion, he used mine and liked it well enough to buy one.
last post: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post19810188

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 02:33 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote