Thread: Advice please
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I have asked this question before, so hope you know. Have you ever zip tied the fork to see how much travel you are using with the Race tech springs?

The spring weight they recommend is so much higher than what is used on comparable weight bikes, such as a KTM 950. There are other aftermarket springs offered for the F800 that are much lighter.
Yes. Reasonably aggressive riding on rough deactivated foresty roads leaves me ~30mm of unused travel. Big hits take it to the last mm.

I cut the stock 30mm plastic spacer in half to 15mm. 120mm air gap. I'm 210 without gear. This nets me ~67mm (29%) static sag.
I also have an 1100lb/in (19.6kg/mm) spring in the rear. Race tech claims stock is 15.7-16.7kg/mm. I run ~1/3 preload and ~1/4 turn from full hard. (Without luggage)

Race tech also offers a .95 front spring. Their rate calculator suggests I should have a .91 for my weight. I went with the .75 at the recommendation of my local dealer. He had concerns about the stock cartridge having enough rebound damping. I suspect the .95 spring is geared for the TT fuel tank.

greenthumb screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 10:33 PM
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote