View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #28
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Well, I agree, it seemed strange. That's why it took so long to find. I'm not sure what the actual issue was- the cap was well seated on the wire (which I checked) and on the plug (which I checked)- apparently there's a resistor in the cap which was faulty, and which meant that it was not sparking sometimes.

Be that as it may, swapped spark plug cap and the bike was right. So, there you have it.

12 vs 13: not a lot on paper, and I hesitate to comment on engine performance since mine wasn't healthy when I had it. It seems like the new bike is a little more polished, they always seem that way year on year I find. But, no major differences that would spur me to buy one over the other.

Steering damper: I'm a firm believer for high speed stuff. But my focus for this bike will be going fast in tight trails, and I don't think the chassis needs one.
Ive tried 3 different kinds of steering dampers,tried em on tight single track.
I cant do it. I want the bike to steer how I want it to steer,cant have it doing it's own input on tight left then fast right super tight corners,or anywhere really,they all drove me nuts within minutes and hitting trees was a possibility.
I know they are great at speed and in rockpiles,I think a lotta pros turn em off for tight woods.
The ones Ive tried,WER,Scotts,GPR, wouldnt turn down far enough to work for me.
Am I a freak?

I know guys,usually not great riders,who wont ride with out the things anywhere,its like a crutch to keep them upright I guess? I wonder if the dampers do just the opposite sometimes in tight woods?