View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
My grip heaters have been acting up over the last few months.
At first, I thought it was all in my head. After today's encounter with some snow however, I know they're not right, and I have had enough.
I would say they never stop working completely, just not as hot. It's intermittent, and so is the severity. Both grips are always the same.
I think it has something to do with the throttle side. When the bike warms up with the heaters on, they're effin' hot when I get on.
Is it a loop of wire or a slider that allows the throttle movement? I'm thinking there is a bad connection there.
Does anyone know if they are wired in series or parallel? What should the current and voltages be?
On my snowmobile, the ecu controls the heater output. Is that true on the F8?

It's probably an intermittent short, that will probably eventually become a permanent short. If the short is in the grip itself, though, you won't feel it the same in both grips. They're wired separately, so a short in the left grip means cold left hand, and warm right hand. So, if they're both crapping out to the same degree at the same time, the short is further up stream.

With mine, I tracked it down to the grip itself, and found a break in the heater wire. I soldered it together, and dabbed a bunch of nail polish on it, velcroed it shut and that's how it's been for the past 2 years.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote