View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #48
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky 149 View Post
Hi All, This looks like and absolute blast!!!!

To those that have participated, will a KTM SXC 625 in be able to do it??
The last three events had a few older KTM singles. I think one was a SXC 625 in 2006 and he made it just fine. There were one or two 640A's that didn't finish, though. My recollection is that for some reason they cruised them under 60mph on the transits, so they were slow getting to their start times. You would know better than me. If we have a 500 mile day that includes three TSD sections, you are going to have about 400 miles of transit and much of that might be pavement. Can your SXC do a 400 mile highway day? and what is your best speed to avoid a mechanical?

The other thing is you'll need to run heated gear. Can your KTM power a heated jacket liner and grips?

The KLR riders kept their speeds under 70. Apparently they burn oil at higher speeds. The twins rode the transits as fast as they dared.

BTW, the speed limits up there are around 100km I believe. That's about 60mph.

Most of the dirt is maintained roads. The roughest will likely be the North Canol to Northwest Territory Bivouac. Smaller bikes haul ass on that road. It's narrow, bumpy, has a couple water crossings and make you feel like you are on a roller coaster. Very fun use of your middle gears.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote