View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #100
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,551
Well, where was I, it's been so long since I added to the report I forget where I've been. The pace has been really hectic since Ed and I were booked on the sailing ship Stahlratte from Panama to Colombia and had to be there 11 Oct to load. On average we rode from 0800 to about 1800 just before it got dark, we lost a minimum of half a day and a maximum of 6hrs at every border crossing, the worst being Panama. The Migration side was always very quick just requiring a stamp in the passport the rest of the time was spent clearing the bikes into the countries

clearing out of Guatemala into El Salvador when a couple from Quebec rode up, Jean and Chantel

we talked with them for awhile and then parted company, we stopped at a small surfer hotel along the coast, it was cheap and really primitive but the owner had a very large supply of beer for sale. It was really crude but we had a pleasant evening talking to the owner and his extended family who had shown up for a barbeque and swim. This was where I discovered my camera which I thought I had rescued was stsrting to pack it in refusing to focus at night

the next day we had crossed El Salvador and while clearing out through customs up rides Jean, Chantel and a new rider Peter, it turns out we're all trying to make the Stahlratte on the same day

clearing out of El Salvador

next up the dreaded Hondura's customs and immigration which has a well deserved reputation for running you around in small circles doing absolutely useless tasks, the cost for importing your bike, payable only in Honduran money was $35.00. I mention Honduran money because if you don't have any and your paperwork drags on until the end of the day you will have found the bank closes an hour before the Aduana and there you are in a really tough Honduran town for the night. We we're lucky getting in to the bank about 1/2 an hour before it closes

found ourselves breaking the cardinal rule about never riding at night and pulled into Hotel Paradise, Chouteca Honduras

have a very poor connection right now so will post this
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote