Thread: Tips and Tricks
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
Hayate
ADV Monkey

Oddometer: 59
How committed did you get with the side stand? I use that trick exclusively to break the bead on my rear and it always seems to pop out quite easily. Then one time I had a real stubborn bead I just kept on going further and further over until I realized the whole center stand was off the ground. I got it balanced right there with almost all the bikes weight on just the side stand (balanced slightly on the front wheel) and started putting some of my weight on top of that actually. POP goes the weasel!

A couple other notes:
I put a 2x4 under the rim on that side and a foot on the other end (after wedging the tire under the side stand). This seems to do the trick to hold the wheel/tire in place and give some room to press down with the sidestand before all the rubber is mashed into the ground without that beautiful sound you're waiting on.

Oh and you said "in the wild" so obviously a branch can be substituted for the high tech 2x4 garage tool... or dig/find a hole for that extra bit of downward travel.
Minnesota Parallel "Twin" Cities GS Riders
Daniel Betlock Adventure Rider

Hayate screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 01:16 AM Reason: thoughts
Hayate is offline   Reply With Quote