View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #32
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
I fully agree with you Craig. Rallies are for camping, not moteling. Unfortunately, Steamboat isn't very camper friendly. There is only one commercial campground in the area and it's about 5 miles from downtown and the nearest motels/restaurants. It's an old KOA with camping cabins and the tent area is on an island surrounded by the Yampa river. I don't know if KTM could reserve the entire island. The free bus to town uses the campground as a turn around but I don't think it runs late at night. That means everyone would have to drive to town to eat, drink, and be merry.

Dave
I have stayed at the campground Dave mentioned, I believe it is also a trailer park (was many years ago when I was there) ,I remember people picking the bus up there to ride to work/school and it was not too early in the morning. It was a decent place then. I mostly remote camp where ever I decided to drop a kick stand. But for those that dont need flush toilets are there many national forest campgrounds ? Maybe one could be targeted ? I know its probably a crap shoot, I dont know if you can reserve those, here again if in the national forest you can camp anywhere. Rough camping is a bit more fun and generally you can grab showers at a hotel or campground for a few bucks if you sweet talk the person at the desk, even a gym if there is one in town that has showers ? Colorado Streams dont offer much in the way of relaxing warm water bathing, but they do the trick if you dont want to offend your new friends. Just some thoughts.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote