View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
supershaft OP
because I can

Oddometer: 8,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Welcome back! Just curious, what was the fix for that snapped stud? New final drive or did you weld a mount onto the swingarm? I've never been a fan of the design for the lower shock mounts on the mono road bikes or 1st gen paralevers. I'm guessing you probably aren't a fan now either.
For right now I just have the stock setup back in there. I drilled and extracted the stud no problem. I got the new stud in a matter of days through SF BMW. No damage to the FD at all excepting a broken off fin and some muff marks that I smoothed out with a die grinder. Most of them you don't even notice with the shock and muffler back on.

The only improvement I can figure to make is to make the inside part of the stud 15mm versus 10mm. That inside junction from 15mm back down to 10mm is right where it broke.

I can't see any advantages between any of the stud setups that I have looked at other than sharing the load with two shocks versus one?

Now that I am thinking about it I think I am going to double check and make sure the 15mm ID portion of the FD didn't get wallered out at all. That stud needs the support through there! I have a number of spare FD's so I am no worse for wear either way.

supershaft screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 02:23 PM
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote