View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,265
Steele Pass

From the bottom of the north slope of South Pass to Warm Springs, the road was fine with the usual amount of rocks and sand.

We check out the springs and then headed north on Steele Pass. The trail was in the usual condition for the first two miles and then the trail completely disappeared. The heavy rains have washed out the road and we just followed the wash for 10 miles before we found the road again near the saddle.

This 10 miles of wash requires a riders on a light weight dual sport bike, someone familiar with the trail and a GPS because you have to negotiate deep sand and big rocks and it is very easy, as we found out, to get off on a dead end finger of the wash. We had to restart and find the correct section of the wash multiple times. Without some sense of which direction to go and where the trail used to be, you can easily get stuck in the wash.

I didn't get any pictures of this 10 mile section because it took all my effort and concentration just to make it through.

Finally we found the road again and headed for the narrow canyon and steps which were in the usual condition.

Eureka Dunes is always a great sight to see when riding north on this trail: