View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Hardluck Mine Castle to Beatty

We rode the dirt road from the Castle to highway 267 and it was in very good condition. We planned to ride the dirt road from 267 to Beatty but it was getting dark so we rode pavement to Beatty.

Total miles for the day was about 210 miles and that was with no gas stations to refuel. My new 5.3 gallon Acerbis fuel tank worked great and I had gas to spare when I got to Beatty. Had I waited for the Safari 4.0 gallon fuel tank and bought that instead, I would have had to carry gas. My riding buddies had to carry about 2 gallons each to make this loop.

All I had to carry was my backpack, fanny pack and the 100 oz. of water in my camelbak which is built into my backpack.

Packing light made it much easier for me to make it through the rocky, sandy wash on Steele Pass. Staying in motels and splitting it 3 ways keeps the cost down and it is much easier than carrying a tent and sleeping bag. My personal preference is to spend maximum time riding and staying in motels allows me to do that. I know lots of riders prefer to camp and that is also a good option.

My small group has been staying at the Exchange Club Motel in Beatty because the rates are reasonable and they have large rooms with roll aways so we can sleep 3 to a room and everyone gets their own bed.

2on2off screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 03:09 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote