View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #24
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Leaving home

The first four days riding from home to Sacramento was fairly enjoyable for the most part. Blue sky and mild temps made for pretty relaxing days. Stopped in Yakima, WA and then on to Springfield, OR so I could have dinner at the Hop Valley Brewing brewpub. They have an excellent IPA . . . Alpha Centauri, hmmm.

I usually try to avoid freeways but south of Springfield it is really tedious getting around I-5 to Calif so, I-5 it was. I did take one short piece of the old Hwy 99 from Ashland, OR over the summit Ė delightful old road. Had to pick up a little of the great Northern Calif riding so headed off at Yreka on Hwy 3 to Weaverville for the night. After I-5, some of the stretches of Hwy 3 had me smiling again.

Spent 6 nights in Sacramento and San Francisco visiting my Dad, my Son and his new wife, getting some work done on the bike and getting reorganized.

Iím going to give a huge plug here for Ted Porterís BeemerShop in Scotts Valley, CA. I had ordered a new Yacugar shock (made in Holland) that Ted had expected to be in hand at the end of Sept. Factory suddenly slowed and the shock probably wouldnít be in hand until a few days after I had hoped to be crossing into Mexico.

I was prepared to switch to an off the shelf shock but Ted thought this was going to be the most suitable shock for me and persisted. He wound up getting the build date moved up, expedited the shipping and had a bunch of employees staying well after closing on a Saturday to get me in and get my stuff installed. This whole thing obviously cost Ted a lot more than he expected when he made his quote but he stuck to the original price. I really appreciated his commitment. Very impressive.

Lastly, I have to apologize for my lack of photos. It seems I fall into old habits pretty quickly and just forget to take the camera out. Iíll get better.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote