View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #1560
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Thanks for your insight on this and sharing Sam's experiences. I think its good to talk about this stuff.
Agree. Especially for aspiring rally riders, it's important to spend a lot of time thinking about these situations, to decide how to react.

The number one risk in Rally is dust, in my opinion. Most of the time, you can choose your risk level by slowing down so that you don't hit something, the danger you can't control is someone hitting you, and you can't manage that risk down to 0. But there are a lot of things you can do to minimize it- getting off or at the edge of the track if you aren't at full gas being a prime example. I always think of the rally track the much the way I do an interstate highway- they have the right to be coming along full gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
To come back to the point, I still cant agree that seeding should take place to put the fast guys in front, except in a race like Sardegna, where overtaking is virtually impossible to do. Everyone should deserve to be where they are in the ranking each day based on performance, and everyone needs to use their own initiative to overtake when it safe to do so.
Pre-rally, I don't mind seeding like putting Johnny Aubert at 21 in the Dakar this year, clearly, he was going to be on the gas. Chris Birch at 110, well, who knows. In any case, the cream will rise if you let it.

During the race, I agree with you Neil, you should start wherever you finished the day before, regardless of class or expectations.

We did a reverse day at the end of last year, and it was miserable and at times, felt suicidal. I can imagine that's how it feels for a fast guy to be mired back in the mix... but people must be rewarded, and punished, for their performance, it's the only fair way.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote