View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Beatty to Scotty's Castle

I have never ridden the dirt roads from Beatty to highway 267 and I think, but am not sure, there are two dirt roads that run parallel to each other.

We rode to Rhyolite and then followed the dirt road west and then north. My Garmin GPS software does not show any road going all the way through but the Tom Harrison Map does.

We rode through a cattle gate heading N/E and decided to turn left and ride the fence line dirt road instead of staying on the road that appeared to head N/E. Not sure this was the best idea because we wound up on a dirt road that turned into 20 miles of whoops but it did go all the through to highway 267. After riding N/W for a few miles, we came to the end of the fence where the fence made a left turn. Where the fence line road made a sharp left hand turn and followed the fence, we decided to cross country it for about 100 yards as we could see a road on the GPS and we connected to it. This is where the road turned to whoops for 20 miles.

As we approached highway 267, I noticed what appeared to be a well graded dirt road to the east of the road we had been riding. The next time I am in this area, I plan to ride this section the opposite direction and connect with this road and see if it is better and also see where it comes out.

We checked out the old mining equipment which is just off the road where the dirt and paved roads meet:

Heading west, right where 267 crossed into Death Valley heading west, there is a road closed sign. No word from the park service when it will be reopened.

There is also a "road closed" sign on 267 at Scotty's Castle heading east.

2on2off screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 05:53 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote