View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #94
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Crossing PA sans Interstate

While I was drying out at the hotel In NY last night part of my mission was to find a way across Pennsylvania, staying off the Interstates. Later, as I was coasting on the I-84 I saw a sign that said "No Commercial Traffic on 209 south of Milford". That's when it dawned on me, THAT'S how I got though PA this Spring northbound out of Florida....PA Rte 209. I took it. It's not fast, It's not pretty particularly, but it provides an excellent look at life in PA. I like it. Some spots are very pretty and others are pretty gritty. It takes you right down the main street of countless coal mining towns that have seen their prime pass. It is sad but I wonder what those towns must have been like in the days those houses and homes were being built. Mnay families lived good lives out of those mines, and those towns continue to be home for so many. There is a lot of history there and I find it an interesting ride.

I got caught in Jim Thorpe PA in a traffic jam for an hour. WOW. Who knew a town the size of Jim Thorpe could design an hour long traffic jam. When I saw the electronic sign, Expect Delays, Saturday and Sunday I didn't know they meant Saturday "AND" Sunday. I waited at least and hour before i did a u turn and threw myself on the mercy of my sadistic GPS which eventually lead me back to Rte 209, which proves to me that choices across PA are very limited, thanks to the wonderful Poconos

I passed through Pottsville PA and stayed on the rte 209 to it's conclusion at the merge with Rte 11 and 15. Those last ten miles or so on brand new twisty pavement were awesome, you descend down this long wide valley and I have no idea what it's name is but dressed in peak fall colours today it was outstanding! Simply awesome. Sorry for no pictures, I was on a mission to get to Hagerstown before dark and there was no shoulder to speak of on the steep hill.

I followed the north shore of the Susquehanna River on a route nuber I've forgotten. No traffic, nice scenery, super smooth pavement, BLASTIN' More fun than human beings should be allowed to have!

More to follow....

Kedgi screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 06:36 PM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote