View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #23
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Ballarat, Pleasant Canyon, Rogers Pass

The caretaker at Ballarat told us that when that storm hit in August, there was three inches of water running through Ballarat into the lake bed. The lake filled up to the point that the road that crosses the lake bed was under 3 feet of water. Indian Ranch Road was also flooded so he couldn't get out for over three days until the water went down. He said that storm wiped out Goler Wash and made it completely impassable. He also said road crews had been working on Goler Wash all week to get it back into shape but he didn't know when they would be done.

We rode from Ballarat up Pleasant Canyon Road. It wasn't too bad and we made good time. It was rougher at the bottom than at the top.

Riding up to Roger's Pass has the usual ruts near the summit but not much worse than usual. We stayed on the trails to the left which took us up to some of the highest points in this area where the views are amazing. These pictures don't come close to capturing the feeling you get when at the top.

Coming down the steep section of trail to Butte Overlook, was much more difficult this year than last spring. The rain washed out so much of the dirt, all that was left was slippery, shale rocks and deep ruts. I bull dogged by bike down most of this because it only take one little mistake and you are on your head. I was exhausted when I got to the bottom.