View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermin View Post
I am on the couch and It occurred to me that I would like to witness a bone fide mexican Dia De Los Muertos celebration. Is there any recommendation on wildness, tameness, naturalness, scenicness,

Anyone know mexican and want to go along......prerequisites...no common sense and a bike that is not worth 10 times an average mexican annual wages.
Two classic locations for Dia de los Muertos are Patzcuaro and Oaxaca. But the observance is practiced all over Mexico with certain locations having stronger traditions.

While the overall mood of the weekend is one of celebration (parades, festivals etc.) the actual observance in the cemeteries is more reserved and invites in the tourist an attitude of respect towards the families present. There is a bit of a clash of interests in that these vigils attract throngs of visitors who often disregard this advice and advance towards family plots with cameras blazing and a somewhat total lack of respect. This isn't a Mardi Gras type of scene at all but to the uninitiated they may believe it may have that sense.

I won't comment on your phrasing of "knowing mexican" or "prerequisites...no common sense" much less the impression you provide of a motorcycle of questionable road worthiness, but if you do go and you conduct yourself with an attitude of respect you will gain friends and come away with an education into the culture of Mexican family tradition that you won't soon forget.

Suerte
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote